Gallow Bridge

Asbestos Surveys & Commercial Energy Performance Certificates


Tel: 07590 024290

Energy Performance Certificate
Gallow Bridge
West Midlands
Energy Performance Assessment Certificate FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Energy Performance Certificates & Surveys from Qualified Assessors
Energy Assessment Frequently Asked Questions Commercial, Industrial and Retail

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

An EPC looks very similar to the energy labels now provided with many household appliances and new motor cars. Its purpose is to indicate the energy efficiency of a building. The EPC will provide an energy rating of the building from A to G, where A is very efficient and G is the least efficient. The better the rating, the more energy-efficient the building is and therefore the lower the fuel bills are likely to be. The energy performance of the building is shown as a Carbon Dioxide (CO2) based index.

Each energy rating is based on the characteristics of the building itself and its services (such as heating/cooling and lighting). This type of rating is known as an asset rating.

The asset rating will reflect considerations including the age and condition of the building. The EPC is accompanied by a Recommendation Report that provides recommendations on using the building more effectively, cost effective improvements to the building and other more expensive improvements which could enhance the building's energy performance.
EPCs for non-dwellings are valid for a period of 10 years.

What is the difference between a Level 3 Building and a Level 4 Building?

The buildings are defined by the CLG Guidance (Communities and Local Government- see website, and basically categorises the buildings by their heating and air conditioning characteristics. If a building has a boiler/boilers with a heat output of greater than 100kw or an air conditioning capability of greater than 12kw, then it is deemed to be a Level 4 building. This building would then have to be surveyed by a surveyor with an Accredited Level 4 qualification. Buildings with lesser heating and air conditioning capacities fall into the category of Level 3.

What are the benefits to me as an owner or landlord of obtaining an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

In simple terms you cannot sell a commercial building or rent it to a new tenant without obtaining an Energy Performance Certificate!
If an EPC is in place at the time of marketing the property, it will minimize any potential for delays in the property selling process.  It is a legal  requirement to have the EPC in place and by having one in place earlier rather than later, will avoid any potential for the Local Authority to impose fines for non compliance and limit the potential for delays in the legal process of the sale/let..

A good energy rating can help you to sell or rent out your property. A good energy rating indicates to a prospective buyer or tenant that the property is energy efficient and may therefore help you to achieve a better sale or rental price than for a building with a poor energy rating.

Are any commercial buildings exempt from the requirement to have an Energy Performance Certificate?

There are some exceptions, namely non-dwellings where:

  • Buildings are to be demolished, reasonable proof needs to be in place in this regard.
  • Buildings  which are used primarily or solely as places of worship.
  • Temporary buildings with a planned time of use of two years or less (e.g. site huts).
  • Certain industrial sites, open-sided multi-storey car parks and non-residential agricultural buildings such as barns with low energy demand.
  • Stand-alone buildings  with a total useful floor area of less than 50 m2 which are not dwellings.

How can I keep the cost of obtaining an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)to a minimum?

Multiple instructions where buildings or premises are in close proximity to each other will save time for the Assessor and will inevitably reduce the overall costs for the provision of the EPCs.

Costs can be also be reduced if you are able to provide the Assessor with information about the building and or its heating/cooling and lighting systems. Information such as

  • Building plans.
  • Details of the buildings usable floor area in m2 or ft2.
  • Metering & mains schematic diagram.
  • Complete schedule of main items of plant.
  • Sight of (or preferably copies of) Operating & Maintenance manuals for heating, air conditioning and lighting systems.
  • Plans and specifications for any building alterations.
  • Copies of recent fuel  bills.
  • Details of light fittings, receipts for replacement light bulbs.

Note: Details of what information is likely to be available is necessary prior to issuing a formal quote, if such savings are to be passed onto the client.

What  will I need to do to assist the Assessor prior to and during the Survey?

You will need to provide the Assessor with as much of the above mentioned information as possible. Provide the full address of the building including postcode. Allow full access to the building.

What happens if the building gets a poor energy efficiency rating?

A poor rating would indicate that the building could be more energy efficient. It is not unusual for older premises to have a poor rating and clients should not be unduly worried by such a rating. However, following the survey, the Assessor may well  identify a number of ways in which the building's energy efficiency could be improved at minimal cost. This may then provide more favourable reading to any intended purchaser/tenant. These Recommendations will be listed in the Recommendation Report that is be prepared at the same time as the Energy Performance Certificate.

I am interested  in finding out more about the Regulations and Energy Performance of Buildings. Where can I find more information?

The following  website links can also provide some additional details:

Non Domestic Energy Assessment   Building Research Establishment
Download Adobe Reader Download Flash Player